Direct selling is a method of marketing and retailing goods and services directly to the consumers, in their homes or in any other location away from permanent retail premises. It is usually conducted in a face-to-face manner – either where products are demonstrated to an individual, or to a group or where a catalogue is left with the consumer and where the direct seller call as later to collect orders. Unlike direct marketing or mail order, direct selling is based principally on personal contact with the customer.
Multilevel Marketing (MLM) or Network Marketing
- Many direct selling companies, both person-to-person and party plan, are now organised on multilevel principles. This is where direct sellers are given the opportunity, in addition to the rewards from making personal sales, to build their own sales teams. In doing so, they are able to receive additional rewards that come from the sales achieved by those they have recruited trained, helped and motivated.
- Direct selling is now firmly established as a recognised channel of retail distribution around the world, with many multinational companies operating in over 170 international markets. In 2012, worldwide direct sales were estimated at more than $167 billion a year and provide earnings opportunities to over 91.5 million direct sellers. In the UK, over 400,000 people are involved with direct selling. It is a vibrant, growing industry offering a flexible earning opportunity to all, whatever age, culture, gender or ability.
- Today, shoppers have access to just about any product or service through direct selling somewhere in the world. Many people think of cosmetics, cleaning products and systems, nutritional products and homewares as products that are available through direct selling, but there are many other products such as kitchen items, cookware, jewellery, clothing, spa products, scrapbooking supplies and many more. Visit our Members listing to find out more about UK companies and products sold.
Benefits of shopping with a direct seller:
- You can try and test the products you are interested in before buying them
- Your consultation can be tailored to your exact requirements
- Consultations take place in a relaxed, friendly environment and the timing is flexible
- The products are delivered to your home
- You have the right to cancel the order within a given period
- You have direct personal contact with the seller
- Your purchases are guaranteed
- You have access to personal after sales service
- Reference: DSA UK
- Sanctum Raphael -E Commerce